The ProductBC mentorship program enables Product Managers to improve their skills by learning from seasoned professionals. Mentors work on their coaching skills and give back to the product management community while mentees benefit from one-on-one advice and assistance.
The program is 4 months in duration and may extend beyond this if both participants desire.
Mentors must have at least 3 years experience in Product Management.
Mentees are new or intermediate Product Managers and must be active members of ProductBC. Mentees will enter the program with a predetermined SMART goal to work on.
See Program Details for more information.
How to Apply
Applications are now closed. Fall intake will begin on July 1, 2019, and end on August 12, 2019.
We will also be sending updates about this upcoming cohort in our ProductBC newsletters.
During the program, mentors and mentees will meet a minimum of 5 times. Mentor and mentee pairs manage their own meetings and they can meet either in person or remotely. Each participant must sign a confidentiality agreement before the program kicks off.
Participants apply through a web application and submit resumes as part of the process. Program leaders will review each application prior to the matching process. While we do our best to accommodate as many people as we can in the program, it’s not always possible to find matches for everyone due to availability and mismatched criteria. If you don’t get matched, we encourage you to apply for the next session.
The matching process focuses on aligning expectations and capabilities of mentors and mentees. The process consists of:
Phase 1: Applicant Filtering
Applicants will have answered questions regarding their areas of interest, availability, preferred location and other criteria. This is utilized by our mentorship software to create a filtered shortlist of mentees for each mentor.
Phase 2 – Interviews and Final Pairing
Mentors interview mentees from their final shortlist in a round-robin fashion. Both mentors and mentees rank each other after each interview. Program leaders then review the rankings and make the final pairings.
Participants will select one or two of their preferred program tracks from the following list:
- Career and Role Development: advice on finding and achieving your next role, starting out at a new company, understanding the product management role, advice on processes, practices, tools, methodologies, and skills development.
- Product Advisor: support in finding alternatives / solutions to the specific challenges of the products you manage.
- Leadership Development: developing thought leadership, general management and cross-functional management skills.
2019 Autumn Cohort Details
The matching event for the 2019 Autumn cohort will be held on September 10, 2019. Mentees must be available on that day, either in person or remotely. If a mentor is not available, phone interview will be booked prior to the event.
This cohort will run from September 22 to December 13.
From Past Mentors:
- “The ProductBC mentorship program is a very well organized and designed program. As a mentor, we were given the opportunity to give back to our product community by sharing our experiences and knowledge with other product management professionals. By being a mentor, you actually end up learning a lot about yourself and how impactful your experience can have on your mentees. In parallel, you also get a chance to develop your coaching capabilities which will benefit you in any leadership capacity. All in all, the ProductBC mentorship program is very valuable and definitely worth experiencing in a mentor or mentee capacity. Or both if you have the time for it!” – B.H. – Fall 2018
From Past Mentees:
- “We met online for an hour with video chat, which made the experience feel personalized. Previous to this program no one ever told me what my job was in an easy to understand way, and I often felt chaotic in trying to time manage. My interactions with my mentor helped me come to the realization that my job is ultimately simple! I now feel that I understand what is important, and what I should reprioritize”.J.L. – Fall 2018
- “My mentor connected me with more opportunities and people whom I would never have otherwise met” J.H – Fall 2018
- “During the program we identified areas for me to improve, and validated the things I was actually doing right but felt like I didn’t have confidence in. Got recommendations of a variety of resources to help my growth and development. I signed up for this mentorship program feeling at a loss of where to start my journey of learning, and my mentor really helped me get clarity and confidence in where to go and what my options are” J.G. – Fall 2018
- “My mentor helped me identify areas of weakness and made many great suggestions to improve upon them, helping me become better at mapping out stakeholder interests and also get better at networking” S.M. – Fall 2018
Other Important Info
- The primary focus of our Mentorship Program is to help product managers, product owners and other product professionals in the entire British Columbia. Hence, participants from Vancouver Island as well as other regions in BC are strongly encouraged to apply.
- We welcome mentors from outside of Metro Vancouver & abroad. Mentoring in our program can be conducted 100% remotely, if the mentors are not located in the Lower Mainland.
- There is flexibility with meeting frequency (monthly, bi-weekly or weekly), but the mentor and mentee pairing should meet a minimum of 5 times.